Microsoft has announced SharePoint 2016 version vision and strategy in April 2015. It became available for users with SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview edition in August 2015. To meet the exact up-to-date customers’ needs the SharePoint Server 2016 Beta 2, based on customers’ feedback, has been released in November 2015.
SharePoint Server 2016 introduces familiar and intuitive user experiences, cloud-inspired infrastructure with hybrid at the core and robust security and compliance for SharePoint Server 2016.
MS SharePoint Server 2016 Beta 2 provides new hybrid experiences that enable customers to take advantage of the possibilities of the cloud.
In SharePoint Server 2016 new hybrid features are available to enable hybrid solutions. Here are the most prominent ones:
– Hybrid Cloud Search. A new unified Search approach experience is now available in SharePoint Server 2016. With its help all of your crawled content gets indexed (including on-premises content) to your search index in Office 365. You would need to use the Office 365 Search to take advantages of this feature.
– Hybrid OneDrive for Business. Users can sync files with Office 365 and share them with others. They can also get access to their files through the Office 365 directly from any device.
- Extensible Hybrid App Launcher. SharePoint Server 2016 Beta 2 introduces the App Launcher to gain a common access experience across applications and solutions in Office 365 and SharePoint Server 2016.
– Sites you follow in one place. Users can now have the ability to follow SharePoint Server and SharePoint Online sites, and see them aggregated in a single list. - Data Loss Prevention. Intensified support for new Data Loss Prevention capabilities is included in SharePoint Server 2016 Beta 2.
– Increased File Size for uploads. The limit for maximum size of the uploaded file to SharePoint, set to 2Gb in previous versions, is no longer the issue. Though there’s no real limit now, Microsoft has strongly recommended for it not to go beyond 10Gb.
– Mobile experience. SharePoint Server 2016 comes with a touch friendly interface to allow you to make decisions faster and keep in contact with colleagues.
– Durable links. The idea is to make sure that links, you sent to your folks continues to work regardless of what happens to the document, i.e. the file name was changed or the document moved.
– Compliance tools. SharePoint Server 2016 provides a wide range of features and capabilities to ensure sensitive information to remains safe and that the appropriate people have access to the right information at the proper time.